13 July 2010

Holy suffocating denim, Batman!

On a completely unrelated note to the entry below but still completely blogworthy...

I have experienced yet another loss of virginity to a staple cultural item. Tonight, for the first time, I watched Footloose in its entirety. And all I can say is ... pants. Pants, pants, pants. Hot damn, K-Bacon, hot damn.

Okay, so of course, the big scene of the movie is Ren's spastic, random dance in the warehouse that he delivers in frustration and anger. My question is, is it supposed to be funny? Because I could not stop laughing. The jumping off platforms and gymnastic fancies on bars and sliding down railings and frantic kicking and the bumpin' of the knees was so epic that it produced many a-chuckle. It made me think of that awesome dance scene in Billy Elliot when that poor, adorable kid is so frustrated with his father and brother that he tap/stomps around his neighborhood, banging on walls while sitting on toilets and stuff. Hehe, so cute. Again, not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or if I'm supposed to be all tense and sense the frustration and the physical need to dance it out.

Either way, it was definitely a fun time. I overheard a fellow first-timer say when the movie was over, "I finally get Kevin Bacon! I never got Kevin Bacon! He's hot!" Hahaha. I don't know if I will now jump on the Kevin Bacon train, which is a little before my time anyway, but I certainly have a newfound appreciation for his sweet moves (and I can't help but wait for him to break into a jig on the sand the n
ext time I watch Tremors, the only other memorable Kevin Bacon film in my movie memory repertory). And I can only wait patiently for the remake to come out, starring the one and only Zac Efron as Ren MacCormack. Yes, I admit it, *swoon*. It's legit, he's my ageish. I hope they put him in those same pants ... I mean what?

And, the most memorable
Footloose quote:
"When kids dance they become sexually irresponsible."
- Rev. Shaw Moore

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen it and I don't know that I will, since Kevin Bacon creeps me out. I WILL be running to see the Efron version, though, as well as Charlie St. Cloud. And he's not even my ageish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahaha. i laughed during that scene too, al. it is quite hilarious and a bit over the top. love the blog entry, as usual. the title is particularly witty! and I'm totally on the boat for the Footloose remake! let's make it a stop during our road trip lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. didn't Kevin Bacon make a guest appearance on Will & Grace? because I would add that to the list of memorable Kevin Bacon performances for sure!

    ReplyDelete