24 January 2011

Resolved

In the belated New Years spirit ...

There's always so much pressure to come up with a good New Year's resolution.  I always forget to start brainstorming until around December 30, and by the time midnight on the 31st, I just have to scramble to think of something so I can start.  And, how many times have I actually kept a New Years Resolution?  Zip.  It always seems that we are so ready to start anew and we do really well the first month (or maybe two, if they we are really good), but once March rolls around new goals have faded into the background.  And, at least for me, by April I have forgotten what resolution I made in the first place.  But how to get the most out of life if there isn't a challenge to be accepted? (<-- to be read in a Barney Stinson-esque voice).

Thus, I was thrilled when my good friend Travis told me of a new take on resolutions that he was doing.  I don't know if it was the spirit of New Years Day in New York City or the magically delicious salsa we were sharing at Jalapeno (what was in that salsa?!  I must find out!) , but I was inspired and pledged to begin immediately:  Monthly resolutions.  Yes, a new life resolution for every month.  This is makes so much more sense than a full year resolution, I don't know why I hadn't heard of or tried it before.  And the cool thing about this is if one is going well, you can keep it up and add another one, or just extend it into another month.  You could keep this going for years!

For example, I chose to give up the crispy, greasy, breakfasty- and burger-y goodness of bacon for the month of January.  And, with 6 days to go, I can say I have succeeded.  (We are going to ignore that very small but decadent slice of quiche I had at a wedding a couple weeks ago ...  hey, no one's perfect.)

Here is my brainstorm for options to take on in the coming months.    I welcome any additions and encourage any fellow resolution non-keepers to start your own list!:
  • Read a book all the way through
  • Write a pen-and-paper letters to my friends and family
  • Limit dessert to once a week
  • Blog at least 2 times a week
  • Take at least one photo a day (and post it?)
  • Try new foods--order something I usually wouldn't when I go out, and wander into a new aisle at the grocery store
  • Eat all organic
  • Watch/rent only foreign films
  • Try 5 news recipes
  • Read the newspaper/online news fully every day
  • Go to community events/museum events/exhibits at least twice
  • Find a volunteer opportunity for the weekends
  • Eat vegetarian
  • Do an art project, like a T-Shirt blanket or scrapbook
  • Call and update the grandparents
  • Go to a religious service of a different religion
  • Buy a homeless person a meal
  • Blog about the resolution completed (or not completed) at the end of each month!

What are your resolutions?

4 comments:

  1. You forgot "save up enough money to visit my twin sister in Korea." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be more honest in my relationships!
    -a little more vague and difficult to sustain, but I have had two successful attempts so far :)
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is to drink less soda and save money. I went and bought pepsi yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love these, ali! and yes, completely agree that making a smaller commitment by the month is so much more doable, and, in my opinion, more fun! you get to try and accomplish (hopefully) so many more things.

    instead of resolutions, i have taken to: these are the things I'm letting go of in 2010, and these are things I'm welcoming into my life in 2011. I have a long list, but here are some top ones:
    letting go of from 2010:
    -letting myself feel small
    -distrust of the universe
    -(can't remember more at this moment...is 2010 really so far away already??!!)

    Inviting in for 2011
    -laughter
    -self-confidence (especially in my emotions and intuitions)
    -prosperity
    -trust in the universe, in serendipity (more trust results in less panic and worry. It's pretty awesome. I highly recommend it).

    This technique is somewhat vague, but it helps me mark progress throughout the months, and I keep my 2011 list in a place where I can see it regularly. helps me keep perspective, too.

    So....what's your resolution for Feb? And how'd you do for Jan?

    ReplyDelete